Friday, August 20, 2010

Some Background Info

I have decided to start this blog for anyone with inflammatory breast cancer and for anyone interested in what is going on in our lives . Just a warning...I am not a writer nor will I ever be!
Clearly I should have started this sooner but here is the background info.
July 14/10 I woke up with a small rash on my breast and thought it very strange...not itchy or irritated. The next day I woke up and the rash was slightly bigger but something told me this was not right so I googled it and figured I had 2 possible diagnosis. I started looking for a thermometer & I couldn't find one. I go to work and buy a thermometer and decide I do not have a fever. That leaves only 1 possible diagnosis...inflammatory breast cancer. My doctor is on vacation but she is in a group of docs so I go to the after hour clinic. The nice doctor there orders a mammogram & ultrasound but thinks the rash is really nothing. The next day I go to work & call for an appointment...the soonest is August 18!!! I ask for something sooner but they say no, so I ask if there is any other place I can go to get in earlier and they say probably not & that the hospital likely has the same waiting time. After getting off the phone I google for places and after a few phone calls I find Credit Valley Imaging can get me in next Wednesday...yes!!!
Each day the rash is getting bigger and my breast is growing and I know nothing can be done without the mammogram & ultrasound. Wednesday I go for the tests and the technician is very caring & understanding & puts a rush on it for the radiologist. Wednesday afternoon at the doctor's office I am told that the  radiologist recommended a biopsy. Now to find a competent, available surgeon during the summer!! I get an appointment for next Tuesday July 27/10. 
Dr. P is a nice doctor who immediately diagnoses what I already know...inflammatory breast cancer. I of course start crying because this is the first time I actually hear the diagnosis made. It is one thing to think you have the cancer but quite another to actually hear the sentence. Before I know it I have consented to a modified radical mastectomy for Thursday August 5. The problem is you can't just take someone's breast off without pathology thus the wait. I have a punch skin biopsy done that day before Dr. P heads to surgery. The next day I have a core biopsy done. Neither were painful considering what I am headed into. Results may be ready by  Friday at the earliest but probably not until Tuesday because Monday is a holiday!! Dr. P's next OR time is Thursday and I get the first surgery of the day 8 am. I feel sorry for the person who was scheduled for elective surgery at that time and got bumped due to me. Now I know for the future...if you have elective surgery and get bumped just be thankful you are not the other person!!
Surgery goes well and I am given a morphine pain pump (not the usual I am told). I have severe pain in my right arm probably due to the nodes being taken out. David encourages me to use the pain medication but I am not really into it. It makes you light headed. It's funny because you think being a pharmacist I would be more into drugs but I am not!!
Overnight in the hospital and then home. The drains really suck and hurt but I finally get one out on Sunday and the next Tuesday. I still can't have a shower because the skin has to heal from the drains. Finally I get an okay to shower Friday night!!!
August 16th Grand River Regional Cancer Centre appointment with Dr. M. Pathology results show grade III tumour (the worst), 11 cm in greatest dimension and 3/13 lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma. Stage ??? more tests to follow. Margins uninvolved with invasive carinoma :)
The plan is chemo to start next week. It will be aggressive therapy every 2 weeks instead of every 3 weeks for 8 treatments. Yes, I will be done before Christmas!!
For those of you reading this with inflammatory breast cancer...the mammogram was normal but not the ultrasound...push for the ultrasound & a biospy.
Wednesday August 18th I spend at Grand River Hospital. First I get a CAT scan and then head to nuclear medicine for a whole body bone scan. They inject you with a radioactive substance & then you come back 3 hours later for the 30 minute scan. No problem and no pain!! 
I promise this will be my longest post...just giving you background info








Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will
soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they
will walk and will not be faint.
   -- Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment