Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sunnybrook

Today I drove myself to Sunnybrook to get a second opinion and to make sure from now on I get the proper treatment (mastectomy first was not the correct treatment). While my 10 am appointment finished at 1 pm with long waits I am very glad I went. First of all I am glad to be receiving treatment in Guelph...much more personalized and no traffic to contend with!! Second of all the appointment afforded me 2 new opportunities and keeps me in the loop for further trials with triple negative cancer. I am going to be able to be in a study a Women's College Hospital with BRCA gene testing for triple negative. Currently I do not qualify for this test in Ontario because I have no relatives with breast or ovarian cancer. The test is close to $4000 but now I get it free. There is currently a 10% chance of being positive for it with triple negative. I am praying I will be one of the 90% who are negative for the sake of our daughters.
The oncologist is also suggesting an MRI of the non-cancer side because the CT scan showed something in the lymph node and it is still enlarged. This was not previously offered to me and I was told the ultrasound showed nothing but  no one could explain why.
Sunnybrook is going to be keeping me in the loop for further trials on triple negative which I am happy about!


Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always


Psalm 105:4

No comments:

Post a Comment